Thursday, January 30, 2014

Discovering Glasgow


The city I saw from the plane is now coming to life as I explore and discover its wonders. I still cant grasp just how big it is! (compared to small-town Chester and Halifax) 

To get around I have been walking, which can be tiring, but it allows me to navigate (and see) the city a lot better than with public transportation (I know where I am, where I'm going, and where I came from!). 



The Clyde (and Kelvin) river is a central part to the city and is a great navigational aid. I have discovered a walking path that takes me from residence to the city, close to campus, in about an hour. It is a beautiful walk with sounds of the birds chirping and the river flowing alongside. 



The end point to the walk is the Botanic Gardens where many plants, trees, and flowers are kept and displayed from around the world. 

If you are looking for people the best place to go is the city center where the shops are! Whether its for food, clothes, gadgets, or just about anything else the streets always seem to be crowed with people shopping. 



Other common spaces are the museums, mostly along the Clyde. My first stop was the Tall Ship, Glenlee. A ship with a lot of history (survived 4 circumnavigations, many rough seas, wear-and-tear as a training vessel, and finally abandonment) has finally come to rest alongside the Riverside Museum of transport. 



With all of the sights in and around the city there are still lots of places to be discovered!